Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...

my son wants to get a tatoo in memory of his grandfather

my son want's to get a tatoo in memory of his grandfather with masonic symbols. Would this be frowned upon in the masonic comunity.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help on this question.

Many Mason members have tattoos and the issue of the tattoo itself is not the issue here. As long as it is tasteful and can be covered when necessary (not on the back of hand, etc) then they do not have an issue.

There is a great site (for masons members only) but it shows some of the designs available.

Now, you are more specifically asking about a non-mason member and the thoughts on masons toward this. As long as it is done is a respectful way and in memory of his grandfather, the masons would not have a problem with this tattoo.

Having had two grandfathers myself who were masons, I would see it as a nice tribute. Personally, I would ensure that it is done in a way that is "tasteful" (which I am sure he would do) - meaning not to have it too large and prominent since it is intended as a memory of the grandfather.

If you have any followup, feel free to click on Reply to Expert and I will followup with any needed information to ensure you are satisfied with my response. When satisfied, be sure to rate/submit my answer so that I receive credit for my help today.

Have a wonderful rest of the week and all the best to you and your son.