JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

I have a question about Tapioca used in a custom recipe for

I have a question about Tapioca used in a custom recipe for my dogs food. They do NOT explain how to cook the tapioca. Could you please let me know how to prepare it as it does NOT explain other than for PUDDING or PIES and this is NOT what I need it for.
Thank you
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Could you please paste in the recipe you're working from?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

13 oz. ground beef lean 95% Raw wt.

0.6 oz. Beef Liver Cooked

24 oz. Potatoes Cooked

5 oz. Cauliflower Cooked

5 oz. Broccoli Cooked

1 oz. Pumpkin Seed Kernels

8 oz. Tapiocca (Dry)

There is a note that say's 3 1/2 cups water and adjust as necessary for texture.

Thank you. Once you combine those ingredients, are you supposed to portion and shape the mixture into biscuits and then bake?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, This is her dog food recipe. All of the vegetable are cooked. The meat is cooked and then the tapiocca??? I don't know how to prepare it... i.e. how much water and how long, etc. This is then all put together and bagged for each portion of her food twice a day for 1 week.

There are vitamins that are added once the mixture cools.

You would add the tapioca DRY.

Its function is to (1) act as a binder for the other ingredients, and (2) absorb excess moisture.

The tapioca will expand on its own when it comes into contact with the water/moisture.

The reason why the recipe is flexible on the amount of water is because it really depends upon how much the other meats are first cooked down.

This is not a recipe that you can mess up. I promise. Even if you add too much water, just let it simmer longer for the extra water to evaporate (keep stirring so that nothing burns on the bottom).

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one more question, please... Do you think that that is ALOT of tapiocca??? Especially since it is DRY...

I don't because your potatoes are still going to be holding onto a lot of water (that's why, if you're using potatoes to make raised donuts or gnocchi, you put the cooked spuds through a ricer first to help release all the moisture/steam and let the cooked potatoes dry out before you use them).

For all practical purposes, the tapioca adds no nutritional value. It's just there to suck up water and bind the other ingredients (that's why you add it to your fruit pies ..... to avoid a watery pie).