SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

This question is for a physical education specialist. I am

This question is for a physical education specialist. I am looking for a P.E. or health teacher to answer some short answer interview questions for me.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX am a human physiology expert, former avid athlete and well versed in the area of public health and education.

Perhaps I can help you today. What are your questions and how would you like assistance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

These are the questions I need answers to. It is for an education class, and I am supposed to interview a specialist. I would appreciate your help very much!

What is your role as a movement educator?

How are you supported by your school?

How do you motivate students who do not actively participate?

How has physical education changed in the last 10 years? How do you think it will change in the future?

Why is physical education important in the elementary curriculum?

What issues do you face securing the resources and materials you need? How do you resolve them?

If you had a limited amount of time to teach students, what are the most important topics you would deliver?

How do you encourage competitive sports, good sportsmanship, losing well, winning graciously, waiting for one’s turn, and other social benefits of physical education to students?

Let me spend some time on this and will give you my opinion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great. Thanks Mike! Laughing I will be out for about about 3 hours and will check back when I get home.

Amy

Sounds good - thank you for your patience. I had to step away from the computer for a while but will start on these shortly.

Just as a heads up they will take a while to type out :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was wondering if you were still going to help me out? I don't need them until this afternoon, so no worries!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I am sorry to bother you again, but I'm just wondering if you are still planning on answering my questions. I just need to know if I should try to find somebody else since it is due by the end of the day. Thanks-

Amy

No worries amy, finishing it right now :). Sorry for the delays.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Awesome! Thanks again!!

no problem.
Here you go Amy - I have put the answers under the questions. If you want more just let me know. I have typed them out as information, you can customize the information to your own style of speaking.

The role of a movement educator is proper instruction and execution of various healthy activities. Sports, fitness and exercise, general healthy habits, diet are all included in movement education because they all sumate to a common result. The additional roles of movement education include community outreach, inclusion of non traditional population as well as positive reinforcement for everyone.

How are you supported by your school?

Support by schools includes inclusion into the curriculum. It is very important that enough time and and enough "weight" of scheduling for each portion of the student body are given. Facilities as well as equipment are further ways a school can support. Feedback, both positive and negative are essential to the programs developing and improving. Most importantly the open "ears" of a school, open to modification, assimilating feedback and making the appropriate changes to benefit the students and instructors are great ways of support.

Small changes and positive reinforcement. Getting a student to at the very least make small changes and then positively reinforcing it(without being insincere or "fake") are great ways to include students. Getting the other students to encourage along with you and then furthermore positively reinforce that additional participation is a surefire way to get better responses that strict, straightforward reprimanding.

Physical education has changed tremendously over the past 10 years because of the decline of physicality in the lives of youth. With the tremendous development of video games and sedentary activities, the importance of physical education is greater than ever. The rapid rise in metabolic syndromes, cardiovascular disease and a general decline in overall health in the US in sedentary populations pushes physical education both of youth and adults to an all time high. Making physical activity a front runner of weekly routine is imperative to preventing a further decline in health.

The future will likely be the same. The advent of technology, the fact that children are relying more on this for entertainment and the general lack of motivation in certain populations mean that as technologies continue to improve and be mass marketed to all groups, that unhealthy habits will further be developed and that children as well as adults will continue to see a decline in health if physical activity is not a part of life. The changes that are needed include providing a strong understanding the detriment to a sedentary lifestyle.

PE is important in the curriculum not only to provide an outlet for physical activity, provide a "break" from the monotony of regular classes, but also to provide self confidence. PE teaches children perseverance, hard work, allows them to interact and have fun with other students as well as introducing them to a hobby or activity they may not other. It provides positive reinforcement of physical activity as well as an introduction to skill building and coordination development that may otherwise have not been introduced had there been no PE in the curriculum.

Major issues may involve budget, time and space for facilities. Getting around space and budgeting only requires some critical thinking and creativity. Including activities in difference spaces, using different materials than what would be traditional, as well as expressing any imperative needs to administration so that these needs can be met.

Hard work, sportsmanship, and perseverance are some of the most important topics students can learn and develop. Respect for their peers should also be priority as this is a value many students simply do no understand; that it is "ok" to be respectful as well as intensely competitive. As far as topics of activity, it would be important to drive home the topics that students can replicate themselves. Teaching games and activities that can be transferred to the home or out of school will result in a higher percentage of replication in the outside environment that would further benefit the students and make it more likely for lifetime assimilation.

Teaching students these values all include positive reinforcement. It is important to understanding that losing, is a way for the student to improve and can be taken as a "tip or trick" on how to improve more so than a "lesson". It enables the student to take that tip and build on his or her mistakes so they can return a better player or teammate.
Encouragement and positive reinforcement from all students toward each other are the best ways to illicit a repeated response both before, during and after the event or "turn. Leading by example, giving students ways they can assist and encourage their own team as well as providing that reinforcement as the educator is a sure fire way to

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is perfect! Thanks a bunch!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Amy

Excellent Amy!

Sorry for the delays, we have lost power and connectivity in my area of the country.

I would love to work with you in the future if I can help. Just keep me in mind and remember you can always request me specifically.

Have a great remainder of the weekend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Absolutely! I will request you specifically when I need help again. I think it will be week after next, which is my final week in this course. Hope your power stays on and have a great remainder of the weekend as well.

Amy