Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What is the best way to improve English grammar.

Which is the best book to learn English grammar

Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

The best way to improve English grammar is to read a lot of books (both fiction and non fiction) that interest you (this will also help improve vocabulary) and also to converse with native English speakers who speak properly and use correct grammar. Listening to radio and tv programs will also help, although, sometimes, the grammar is not 'formal' and some slang expressions and idioms may be used. This would be good for improving your grammar and vocabulary if you are not a native English speaker.

A great way to learn English grammar is to do daily exercises using a site like this:

There are many books that will help you learn English grammar. Here is a nice selection: (scroll down on this page to see all grammar books)

If there is a specific grammatical aspect of English which you don't understand, I would be happy to assist you further, as I am a certified teacher of English and foreign languages.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for assisting you.

Please rate in a positive manner when you are satisfied with my answer. My only goal is your satisfaction!

Best regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i get confuse when to use ed in the word.

Hello again, Mitch and thanks very much for your reply.

--ed is used at the end of many verbs (action words) that is used in the past tense. It indicates an action took place in the past. For example: I looked at the ocean and saw big, beautiful waves. Not every verb will add -ed to express a past tense. Irregular verbs like 'to see', used in the sentence above, as you can see, uses 'saw' as a past tense. In every language, there are regular and irregular verbs. Regular verbs follow the rules and irregular verbs will be different from the normal way of forming the past tense. Their forms will not follow the rules as the others do. In this case, it is necessary to memorize the irregular forms of the verbs that do not follow the rules.

I hope this helped. If so, please remember to rate my answer with a smiley face for 'Excellent Service' Laughing so I may be compensated for my time and expertise. Thank you!

If you need additional information, please click 'Reply to Expert'.

Best regards,