Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

self publishing

i'm writing a book and need to find a good, reputable self-publishing company, Can you help me?

Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.

Congratulations on writing your book! Self-publishing has become an acceptable method of getting a book into print. There are two approaches. There are firms where you send them your book and pay a set fee for a certain number of copies. They print the books and send them to you. The other type of firm charges no fee to begin with, unless you need help with formatting. You upload your book, the cover, etc, in a step-by-step process. Then, you pay for each copy of the book you want. You can order one copy or thousands of copies. With this option, your book is also offered for sale on the company's website and readers can order it directly from them.

I just finished publishing my own book through the second process. I used I was very happy with the quality of my book. I know several other writers who have used LuLu, and they are also pleased. the drawback is that you need to be good with creating pdf pages and uploading and sizing your cover, etc.

If you prefer to pay a flat fee and have the firm print your book and send you the copies you paid for, there are several reputable companies. Here are some:

You can also contact local printing companies, graphic artists (for your cover), etc. and publish you book all by yourself. Publishing it as an e-book is another option. I recommend reading the information on this website (operated by Writers' Digest magazine) before starting the process:

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success with your book.

Please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you need more help, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you know? What have you heard about xlibris?
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I have never used them, and I don't know anyone who has. I do know they are a big name, but there have been lots of online complaints about them. There was also a lawsuit against them in Indiana. They are not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but the BBB reports that when they receive complaints, xLibris does give refunds and credits to unhappy customers. If you run a search for ' xLibris complaints,' you can take a look at some of the reviews, then make up your own mind.