Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...

My son is with my husbands daughter. They have been together

My son is with my husbands daughter. They have been together 1 yr more than us. They do not speak to us because they say it is wrong for us to be married hat they were together first. Now she is pregnant. Can they keep the baby from us seeing and being in its life?

My name is FiveStarLaw. I shall strive to provide you with legal information. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

Unfortunately, if both parents choose to deny visitation to a grandparent, the court cannot award grandparent visitation over the parents' objection. The US Supreme Court held that parents "have a fundamental right to make decisions concerning the care, custody and control" of their children".

Grandparents may obtain visitation rights if the grandparents child is unavailable for visitation or custody of this child. For example in a situation where the child's parents are separated or divorced or if one parent is deceased, has relinquished his parental rights or had parental rights terminated.

In a situation where both parents agree that they do not want a child to see the grandparents, there is little that the grandparents can legally do.

So sorry.

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information