Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Does the President of the United States have discretionary

Does the President of the United States have discretionary authority to pick and choose which parts of the constitution or duly passed laws he will enforce?

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

The President of the United States, legally, must enforce all parts of the Constitution, but does have discretionary authority in certain areas.

If laws are passed by Congress, with which he disagrees, he has various options, but being Chief Executive, he is afforded the 'discretion' that the law allows the President to exercise. I think you'll find the following articles interesting and they will help with the understanding of what the President can and cannot do, legally, considering his discretionary authority:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/obamas-immigration-policy-shift-was-legal-but-was-it-proper/

http://thebroadside.freedomblogging.com/2011/02/25/impeach-obama-disbar-holder/

_____________________________________________

If you have any additional questions or need more information, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for assisting you.

Please rate only when you are satisfied with the answer. My only goal is your satisfaction! If you are considering rating with anything other than a positive rating (smiley faces 3-5) please STOP and click Reply to Expert, first.

Thank you !

Best regards,
Cher