hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
Type Your Question Here...

CHAMPAGNE ADVICE QUESTION: I have several bottles of Dom Perignon

CHAMPAGNE ADVICE QUESTION: I have several bottles of Dom Perignon champagne. They are approximately ten years old. The average temperature they have been stored at is 70 degrees. They have been kept cork tilted down MOST of the time, however stored upright perhaps 1-2 years. What are the chances that this champagne is still good? Obviously I am far from an expert. Is champagne like beer in that the fresher the better? Or does champagne peak after a certain period of time.
A good bottle of vintage champagne such as Dom Perignon can be aged an enjoyed 10 plus years later. All wine and champagne can go bad if not stored correctly and in some cases they go bad even when stored correctly. Many new champagnes are not conditioned to be stored for long periods of time but wine and champagne are actually heartier then many people think. Finally, I am unaware of anything that can happen from simply trying the champagne, possible find a nice evening to open a bottle and enjoy a little celebration.