Sijad H.
Sijad H., Consultant
Experience:  Jack of all trades. I know a little bit about a lot of bit.
61965098
Type Your Question Here...

My Nuvi 550 Wont Acquire Satellites

My Nuvi 550 Won't Acquire Satellites
Submitted: 2 years ago via HelpOwl.
Category: General
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you.

A couple of things you can try are:

1. Updating the device.

Connect your device to your computer and download Garmin Webupdater. It can be downloaded by clicking here. Once you have it downloaded and installed, run the program. Click next on the first screen, on the second one it will automatically detect your unit. Once your unit is detected click next. Then follow the on screen instructions for the updates. After the initial update, it will also tell you there are additional updates, select any additional updates you wish to install and click next. Once the updates are complete, unplug your unit and allow it to restart.Please take the device outside in clear view of the sky and allow it to acquire its satellite signal again.

2. Performing a hard reset. Note this will delete your favorites.

Turn the unit off and unplug from power. Touch and hold the lower right hand corner and while holding, turn the unit on. Continue to hold until the device says Erase User data. Tap yes and allow the device to restart. Please take the device outside in clear view of the sky and allow it to acquire its satellite signal again.

Give two items a try and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply,

My device is not detected by none, pc or mac. I have tried register my product and it didn't work and now that I downloaded the webupdater my device is not found by the program. As far as your second recommendation is concerned I have already tried resetting the personal data and it didn't work.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
What is displayed on the device when you connect it to your PC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a screen which says to enter a pin.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, enter your pin and then what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't set any pin. That's what I don't understand. From the first time I switched on my device it required some pin that I never set.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
OK. Where did your purchase the device? Was it new refurbished or used?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought it from amazon in Germany. Supposedly it was new.

Expert:  Sijad H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, the device apparently is not new. If it was new, it would not have come with a security pin attached to it. There two ways to unlock the device if you do not know the pin. One is taking it to the location where the pin was set and unlock via satellite and two sending it in to Garmin.

Now if you have purchased this device new you have two options.

1. Returning it to Amazon
or
2. Sending in to Garmin. If you have the receipt Garmin will unlock it for you.

To return it to Garmin, you will need to call 01805 42 76 46 880 and obtain an RMA number to return the device to them.

To return it to amazon, click here.

The Garmin lock is the reason why you cant connect to the PC or get a signal.

You will need to return the device as discussed above to get your unit unlocked.

Please take a moment to rate my service. If you have any more questions please feel free to let me know. Have a wonderful day!
Sijad H., Consultant
Experience: Jack of all trades. I know a little bit about a lot of bit.