Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Economically, who are the core "job creators"? I used to hear

Customer Question

Economically, who are the core "job creators"? I used to hear that it was small business and other such innovative entreprenuers.
Recently I've heard only that fat cat investors are the job creators. I suspect that could be a shallow political quip to mislead the public. But is it indeed more accurate to say so? Did economists have it wrong before? Did the economy fundamentally change to make this the 'new truth'?
I suspect by that logic, it can be equally true to say that consumers are the true job makers. It can be any function of the market that we want it to be.
In my brief stint at a bank in their trust department, almost all the large funds were pensions and such, made from groups of working people and very few big individual investors.
So here are my real questions:
1) Are large investors the true job creators?
2) Does the financial contribution the top 1-or-2 %'s truly outweigh the financial clout of 100's of millions of middle and working class people's retirement funds and their other financial investments?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello. The workers are potentially latent and available at all time. To create a job market, only the "needs" need to happen to start the "economy".

Big company backed by lot of investors are better at creating the needs but there is more "real" needs in quantity that small business or self employed individual can fill.

With the move from rural area to village to small town and lastly to metropolis, big company now are a bigger part as job giver. At one point, there is scale economy for small business to close and sell their service (get hired) to a big company. The only one that stay small are just fearing the change or just like their freedom more than the convenience or the higher revenues.

Right now i would say that large investors are driving the market, but the market is also very stale and lack "biodiversity". This will eventually reverse, a bit like an old climax forest can eventually burn and tons of new species will emerge. It can currently be seen currently with NASA, never before smaller companies got to participate more in space exploration than state supported organizations.

If you take India, they are currently a small business place. In the USA, big corporations rules. In Japan, they seem to be able to keep a good balance between small artisan and mega-corporations. So it's not a black or white situation but more something that evolve in time and space.

With the globalization/mundialization of economies, government may want to subsidize some sector and this may help large investors in the short term but as this is not very different than a nuclear arm race it won't be able to last for long as it's not sustainable.

Another thing that help a lot large investors currently is the patent system as it clearly disadvantage small business. Again this won't last for long as such a patent system is soon to be reworked from the ground-up.

I hope i covered your question well enough as it's quite a complex subject.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was an excellent answer. Thank you.

I have a follow up question:

What is the leverage of the top 1-2%'s compared to the investment contribution from the rest of the American middle class and working class population?

Do the 1-2%'s really contribute all that much - compared to the entirety of other people's collective investments (retirement funds and everything else), that the US economy is so indebted to the top percenters' investment clout?

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Leverage is a term that have different meaning for many in different context, can you reword this a bit?