Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Im beginning to learn spanish. How long does it take to learn

Im beginning to learn spanish. How long does it take to learn the language? What are the best teaching tools?

Hello, Jill and welcome back to Just Answer.

Kudos to you, for beginning to learn Spanish! It's a most wonderful language! Laughing

How long it takes to become fluent in the language depends on the individual learning it. If you have a penchant for languages and they comes easily to you, you should pick up Spanish quite quickly.

The best teaching tools include 'total immersion'; this refers to surrounding yourself with the language as much as possible. If you have friends or co-workers who speak Spanish, try to have conversations with them as often as possible, even if you just listen at first, and don't speak, you will pick up the rhythm and sound of the language and eventually start understanding and being able to converse.

Also, listen to Spanish radio stations and TV as frequently as you can, and if you put the closed captioning on the TV you will be able to read what the newscasters and actors are saying and this will also speed up your acquisition of the language.

In addition, you can find some free online Spanish programs that will help you understand what you are hearing and help with your pronunciation and your comprehension skills. There are also some programs that you can pay for, like the Pimsleur Approach and Rosetta Stone. Rosetta Stone is quite costly, but Pimsleur has a low cost (I think it's $10) trial offer that you can try and if you don't like it, you can return the cds and not owe anything.

I've found the following for you: (this is great for conversational Spanish practice)

I wish you much good luck with your Spanish!

IMPORTANT: If you are satisfied with my answer, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for my help.

I'm very proud of my 100% positive feedback received from clients like you!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' and I will be glad to assist you further.
Best regards,