Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Type Your Question Here...

I,ve sailed the seven seas which ear gets the earring

Patience :

Thanks for your interesting question!

Many sources have it that old time sailors believed that if their bodies were recovered after a sailing accident that the person would take the earring as payment for a proper burial. Pierced ears on sailors may have also represented a sailor who had sailed around the world or survived a sinking ship. Traditionally, a sailor who had rounded the Horn was entitled to wear a gold loop earring — in the left ear, the one which had faced the Horn in a typical eastbound passage — and to dine with one foot on the table; a sailor who had also rounded the Cape of Good Hope could place both feet on the table (A Voyage for Madmen, by Peter Nichols; pages 4–5. Harper Collins, 2001).

I hope this helps you to know where to wear it! Please be sure to rate my response using the star system so that I can be credited for my time. After that, I will I will be happy continue our discussion if you need any additional information or insight. Good customer service is is one of my highest priorities! Please use the REPLY tab with any issues that come up regarding the service you have received.Come back soon and remember to ask for Patience P!