Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

What does "Oy Me" mean in English? Of what language is thi

What does "Oy Me" mean in English? Of what language is this?
Hello again and welcome back to Just Answer.

Thanks very much for your Excellent feedback on my last answer and for requesting me to answer your new question.

If you saw "Oy Me" written, if may have been misspelled, and it should have been "Ay, mi", which can be a 'lament' or an exclamation in Spanish meaning "Oh dear" or "Oh, my". However, it also could have been a shortened form of "óigame", meaning 'listen to me' or 'hear me' in Spanish.

Another possibility, depending on the context in which you saw this written or heard it, could have been "Oy, me encantan......" with the comma between the 'Oy' and the 'me', meaning 'Oh, I liked [something very much]', for example.

If you can tell me the context in which you saw this written or heard it, I would be able to give you an exact translation, if it were spelled and used correctly.

One more possibility: if you saw or heard 'Oy Vey!' this is a Yiddish exclamation, meaning also, 'Oh my'.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, and I will be happy to continue our conversation. Please direct your reply to me, "Cher".

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for assisting you.

If you should experience any problem with the ratings system, please reply back to let me know and I will have it taken care of for you.

Please rate when you are satisfied with my answer. My only goal is your satisfaction!

Please feel free to request me for future questions by beginning your question with 'FOR CHER'. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I haven't seen it in any context, but I will be starting an online T shirt business in November and Oy Me will be the name of it. I really like this definition...

"Oy, me encantan......" with the comma between the 'Oy' and the 'me', meaning 'Oh, I liked [something very much]', for example.

It would appear like this? Oy' me. Which means Oh! I liked! Can it also read Oh! I Like!

Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Well, the 'like' part comes from 'me encantan', just 'Oy, me' doesn't really have a meaning in Spanish. It's a catchy name for your online T shirt business, though, but, if you wanted to make it "¡Oy, me encanta!", that would mean 'Oh, I like!'.

Best regards,
Cher