General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

horticulture cooking I grow gooseberry bushes and got a

horticulture cooking

I grow gooseberry bushes and got a croup this year. Gooseberries and elder berries also do not release their stems easily . Is there a way to remove these tiny stems so you just get the berry without the wood? I'll check my answer in the morning.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I researched quite a few websites on suggestions for removing elderberries from the stems and the most recommended and successful method was to use a wide-toothed comb. A wide-toothed comb was used to gently tease the elderberry and de-stem the fruit. I have attached a link to a website that offers photos of the method.

Another method was to freeze the harvested berries for a couple days. Then take frozen berries and drop them on a hard surface. The shock of the frozen berries hitting a hard surface results in them snapping off the stem.

Good luck with the berries and feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.