Norman M.
Norman M., Researcher, Lecturer and Psychotherapist
Experience:  ADHP(NC), ECP and UKCP Registered.
Type Your Question Here...

Question about food/recipe? I got groceries about a week

Question about food/recipe?

I got groceries about a week ago. I had about a quarter of a jar of pickle juice that remained sitting on the counter in 90 degree heat (I live in a hot area of CA)....

Is it safe for me to use the juice thats been sitting in it to create to another dish that will be refrigerated?

My new dish is shredded cabbage, thinly sliced/chopped red onion, vinegar, oil, and PICKLE JUICE.....should I wait till I go to the gstore for fresh juice tomorrow or the next day?

I mean....if its still good i'll use it....but if its risky then no.
On the label it says to REFRIGERATE it.......noramlly pickles dont say to refrigerate but these do. Thoughts? Thanks.

Also if you respond, please state your experience with food, thanks.
I assume that by pickle juice, you mean brine. If that is the case, it SHOULD be perfectly safe, but that would depend on the exact chemical composition of the product. If the manufacturere says refrigerate it, he must have a reason. I suspect that it may say rerigerate after opening, though.

Two reasonable options here -first call the manufacturere and get his view or for the price of brine, buy a new jar!

My experience with food? Formerly food safety manager with the UK's 4th largest supermarket chain, qualified food inspector and lecturere in food safety.