Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

If youre falling into a supermassive black hole isnt it correct

If you're falling into a supermassive black hole isn't it correct that time from your reference frame time slows down, and so you would see more and more of the future of the universe? So if you are exactly at an event horizon and time stops does that mean that you can in theory see the entire future of the universe?
Category: General
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It's an extremely complex one.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Some of what you are describing is correct.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Except for the reference frames.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If YOU are getting close to the even horizon, because you always observe light at a constant speed, nothing changes.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

However, from the perspective of someone far away, looking at you, your clock would appear to slow down, and at the even horizon stop.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But for you, time would go by normally.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

But I think the second part of what you are saying actually takes what I've said into account.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That is, from the reference point of, for example, someone on earth, your clock would come to almost a complete stop according to them.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So a century for them could pass by, while you have experienced less than a second.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So if you were to return to earth after a prolonged period of time near the even horizon of a black hole, many years would have gone by on earth - perhaps thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of years - potentially in what was only a few seconds to you.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Absolutely FASCINATING topic.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Oh... so you would see the "future of the universe", but that future universe would always be your "present". You would be "in" that future universe and not simply observing it from a time in the past. Therefore you can't go back and tell someone what you saw.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

That's not possible.

Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience: Extensive experience in research and problem solving.