SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

i made baked chicken breasts yesterday and i did it in a metal

i made baked chicken breasts yesterday and i did it in a metal pan (the ones to bake cakes) it was fine, i put it in the fridge on the same pan and today when i warm it up in the microwave some pieces was with a really dark color , why that happen?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
HiCustomer and welcome back to Just Answer!

I would love to help you with your question, but I need to know a few things first:

Were the chicken breasts baked with some sort of breading on them or just plain, in the oven?

Did you add any seasonings, marinade, etc.? If so, what did you put on the chicken?

Were they skinless and boneless?

Did you warm them in the same metal pan in the microwave, today?

How long did you put the chicken in, to warm in the microwave, and on what setting?

Did you taste them/eat them, or throw them away after you saw the dark areas?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no breading just plain
seasoned only salt and a little pepper

yes skinless and boneless

no i dont warm them in the same metal pan, i warm them in a dish

i just put 2 minutes regular microwave time

i didnt throw them away but i didnt ate it either. just a little piece, as soon as i notice that i just left it there
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
This is going to sound a little weird, but chicken sometimes just does that. My name is XXXXX XXXXX read on and I will give you the other 2 probables on why this may have happened.

Depending on what area of the fridge was kept in it may have dehydrated a little bit and then further more when cooked in the microwave.

Most foods will actually turn dark on your when you cook them, especially if they were already a little dehydrated. For example an egg based quiche will be light and fluffy, but if kept in the refrigerator uncovered will shrivel up and go darker yellow, almost brown when its left in the open fridge.

The other explanation is the blood vessels within the breast meat may have expanded when microwaved(like marshmallows and eggs and all types of other food "puff") and anything trapped in them may have ruptured and just spread. Its perfectly normal and would be OK to eat this, even though its a different color - again though, assuming the chicken isn't past its expiration date. It may have just been a bit dry. You sometimes see this around the edges.

Chicken turning dark sometimes happens randomly, its not a fault of the person cooking especially when its seasoned with the basics like you have done, cooked on a regular setting for a regular time as well as being the easy to cook boneless, skinless.

To prevent this dehydration though make sure you cover the chicken in the fridge in tupperware or wrap it in foil. When cooking do the same(though don't cook in the foil), make sure its covered in something microwave safe and if needed you can put a couple drops of water in to help create a moistening steam effect.

I could really go for some baked chicken right about now Smile
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist