Norman M.
Norman M., Researcher, Lecturer and Psychotherapist
Experience:  ADHP(NC), ECP and UKCP Registered.
14727623
Type Your Question Here...

I am writing my second novel about an FBI agent. In this book

Customer Question

I am writing my second novel about an FBI agent. In this book I have him on vacation and unarmed most of the time. Some reviewers said they found it hard to believe an agent would ever be unarmed, especially when they are from Texas, where the novel takes place. I got over him being a Texan and being unarmed by making him a liberal democrat, yes, there are DEMOCRATS in Texas, but I don't know about him being required to be armed even on vacation. So...my question is: Are FBI agents required to be armed off duty?
Category: General
Expert:  Norman M. replied 2 years ago.
The short answer to your question is yes. Please see here.

However, if that agent was outside the US or it's territories in which the FBI has a statutory authority that would not apply. Why not send him on vacation to Canada?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I looked all through that FBI page and I didn't see what you were referring to, it would be helpful if you cut and pasted it for me, I have limited time and it's up now. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be back later.
Expert:  Norman M. replied 2 years ago.
Here you are -

The world changed on September 11, 2001. Through LEOSA, Congress reacted to this new age of terrorism, accepting the fact that America never has faced a greater need to have additional watchful eyes on the streets of its cities, towns, and rural areas. These eyes possess the training, skills, and resources necessary to stop rapidly evolving situations before they become disasters. They also provide an instantaneous, no-cost benefit to the country by simply allowing trustworthy officers to carry concealed weapons while off-duty. LEOSA allows qualified officers to protect themselves, their families, and the community by being armed while off duty.

Law enforcement officers know that criminals are never off duty. LEOSA also is premised on the notion that officers are vulnerable off duty. Criminals sometimes target them, as well as their families, for harm; these individuals also know that off-duty officers may be unarmed. LEOSA allows qualified officers to protect themselves, their families, and the community by being armed while off duty.

From http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/january2011/off_duty_firearms

Experience: ADHP(NC), ECP and UKCP Registered.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Norman, You interpreted the law incorrectly, I was asking if the Bureau required FBI agents to carry weapons even off duty. The law you cited just gave law enforcement the ability to conceal carry even when off duty, but no where does it say agents have to carry even when off duty. BUT it's the information I needed, and I appreciate you searching it out for me. Thank you for your help, I will use you in the future.

Linda
Expert:  Norman M. replied 2 years ago.
Linda - thank you so much. Once upon a time (but not on a planet far far away!) I was the legal compliance officer for rhe 3rd largest UK supermarket chain, so most of the time, I get these things right.

Great luck with the book, though! What a kind comment.