Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, I just filed my bankruptcy last year 2011 Feb and I am

Hi, I just filed my bankruptcy last year 2011 Feb and I am planning to take my Customs Broker license this October 2012 will this record deter me from receiving my license?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an attorney here to provide you with legal information.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

To assist me in answering your question, please tell me:
1. What chapter bankruptcy did you file
2. Have you received your discharge

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Chapter 7 and Yes i received my discharge.
Thank you very much for your information.

A discharged bankruptcy will not disqualify an applicant from obtaining a customs broker's license. You may read the rules and regulations at this link:

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please let me know if I have answered your question or whether you would like further information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I just copy and paste the link you wish me to review.

In addition, I'd like to know then what is the time frame for me to start filing for the customs broker license assuming that I passed it?

ANother word, does this mean that I can never obtain a customs broker's license forever?

It appears that you may have misunderstood my answer. You MAY obtain a customs broker's license even though you have a bankruptcy. You may proceed to file for the customs broker's license immediately upon passing the exam.