Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
Type Your Question Here...

I have recently received a letter from a debt recovery firm

I have recently received a letter from a debt recovery firm threatening litigation plus it's consequences within 7 days, for a non existent debt. If the debt company has purchased this non existent debt, then presumably there is no contract between me and this company, only with the client who sold the debt to them and they in fact owe me money for withdrawing money from my a/c after the contract between us was cancelled.
I would be grateful for any advice or comment. Thankyou.

Linda Roch :

Hello and welcome! If you have any other questions, please let me know and please leave positive feedback.

Linda Roch :

It sounds like the debt was sold to a collection agency.

Linda Roch :

If you do not owe any money to the original creditor, then you would not owe any money to the collection agency but that is something you would need to argue to the judge if it gets to that point.

Linda Roch :

However, collection agencies will usually not sue unless it's a large amount.

Linda Roch :

So at this point, nothing may happen but if you see it reflected on your credit report or if you get sued, you want to argue the truth to the judge or to the credit agencies. Many of these are scams as well which means that while they can bother you, they cannot legally do anything against you.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX debt was for £137.27 to TalkTalk. In fact after cancelling my contract with them I stupidly didn't cancel my payment arrangement with my bank and talkTalk continued to take money from my a/c to the tune of £258.23.

SRJ Debt collection Agency are the company contacting me. I have researched them online and they seem to have a record of harrassment along with Talktalk themselves

Thank you for letting me help with your question. If you need anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.