Andy4712
Andy4712, Consultant
Experience:  I have experience and knowledge as a consult to answer numerous questions regarding numerous issues.
17793914
Type Your Question Here...

How much should be given as a wedding gift. Two adults with

How much should be given as a wedding gift. Two adults with two adult children?
Category: General
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 2 years ago.
It really depends upon the situation. It also depends upon how well you know these people. Do you know what other people are giving them for gifts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not reall satisfied with that answer
Expert:  Andy4712 replied 2 years ago.

How about $200.

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question. Actually, it is an excellent answer. If one is on a tight budget, or doesn't know the couple well, is already spending big money to travel to a destination wedding, it isn't feasible to spend $500 on a wedding gift. It is also perfectly acceptable to ask other attendees what type of gift they are giving and let that guide your spending within your own budget limitations.

A reasonable amount (unless it causes a hardship) is around $75 for a co-worker (or the child of an acquaintance), a friend about $100, and a close friend or relative from $100-175-200 and on up depending on your budget. If a group is splitting the cost of one gift, then each couple should give that amount. If an expensive gift just doesn't fit within your budget, then a more modest gift along with your very best wishes for their future happiness is quite acceptable. It is crass for a couple to even consider the cost of the wedding gifts they receive. Properly, they should be delighted that the guests they have invited to share their happy day took the time and thought to buy them a gift.

So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is to spend what you can afford and enjoy the hospitality of the wedding couple.

All the best,

Schuyler

I am puzzled as to why you would rate this as poor service. Could you please tell me what I can do to improve my service to you?

Thanks,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You told me to ask others about what they were giving. I could have thought of that myself. Ad then you guess at the amount

It is perfectly acceptable to ask others what they are giving, although you do not have to be guided by that. There was no "guess" as to amounts. The amounts generally considered "normal" were given. Those are statistics though. The amount all depends on the closeness of the wedding party to your family, and the amount that you are comfortable giving.

For a family that makes $50,000 per year and gets 4 wedding invitations for the month of August, they cannot afford to give each couple a gift of $200 and up, regardless of how much they love them. If someone makes $1,000,000 per year and wants to write a check for $10,000-20,000 that is also fine.

If there were a cut-and-dried "admission price" for a wedding, I would have given it to you. There isn't. What most people give was stated based on statistics, but if that strains your budget, you should give what you can afford along with your best wishes.

I'm sorry if that isn't what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Why have you given a rating of poor service?

This is the only answer there is, as three experts have all concurred.

Expert:  Andy4712 replied 2 years ago.
I am also wondering why you gave me poor service rating since I opted out to give other experts a chance. I really do think it depends upon your situation and how well you know the couple. Thanks.
Andy4712, Consultant
Experience: I have experience and knowledge as a consult to answer numerous questions regarding numerous issues.