Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I hired a landscaper to replant bushes. They died. He said

I hired a landscaper to replant bushes. They died. He said it was because of poor watering even though I have an underground irrigation system. He planted more and they died. We hired a new landscaper who said the bushes could have died due to poor roots. Should the first landscaper have made sure that the bushes he planted had good roots?
Hello and welcome. It's really hard for me to judge the situation without seeing the bushes and how the landscapers worked. What i can tell you is that i personally give a warranty to the customer that the plant will survive (or i replace it), same when i buy plants that i don't personally produce, i make sure a warranty come with it.

If the landscaper bought the plant, he should be responsible for the whole thing, if he only installed plants bought by you or a third party then his responsibility should only be on the planting.

The fact that he got a second chance and they also died may point to the fact that he did something wrong or that his bushes (or is tool and transport apparatus) is contaminated with a disease.

There is not much to check for "good roots" other than checking for root rot. The first thing is to make sure the sunlight condition are OK and that the ratio of roots to leaves is OK. Also, that the soil type is OK and that proper fertilization is provided until the bushes establish well.

In general transplanting bushes in the spring or the fall when the plant is dormant will dramatically increase the survival rate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Is there any way to check for a disease at this point?
There is many way to do this, including doing laboratory culture, but i usually figure them mostly by looking at the symptoms of the declining plant and the speed of this taking place. Those symptoms need to be known with the type of soil, illumination, watering, species of plants, geographical area/region.