A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

When did the Roman Forum fall into disuse? If one day it was

When did the Roman Forum fall into disuse? If one day it was a functioning area and the next it was abandoned - when did that happen?

Welcome and thanks for your question. It wasn't there one day and disused the next.

The Forum dated from at least 800 BC and was originally at sea level and very small (not much larger than a US football field). In the early years it suffered greatly from floods, and as a consequence sewers were built. As centuries passed and buildings grew up around it, the open area became even smaller. By 200 BC another larger foum had been built. The last of the larger forums was constructed about 500 AD.

The reason for the gradual disuse of the oldest forum was simply that they outgrew it as the population increased over a period of 1,500+ years.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dear Schuyler - I am interested in the post-empire period when the population of Rome shrunk and the Forum became a cow pasture. AD(NNN) NNN-NNNN(?)What was it used for immediately before it fell intocomplete disuse. Were the buildings put to other purposes? Did the city population leave the area completely? When did people stop fixing the roofs and maintaining the plumbing? I hope this gives n idea of what my question was about - the exact nature of the going concern to ruin transition.
Thanks
Kurt

Wow. We can answer one thing per question. A history of the forum is beyond the scope of this site. I am going to opt out since I have already provided the information required by the original question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you can recommend some reading that would do

Here is an excellent old book, long out of print:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/thayer/e/gazetteer/places/europe/italy/lazio/roma/rome/forum_romanum/_texts/huelsen*/home.html

Here is another you can read online:

http://archive.org/details/romanforumitshis00hulsiala

Watkin, David (2009). The Roman Forum. Harvard University Press. ISBN-13: 9780674033412. If this one isn't in your local library, you can order it from Barnes and Noble.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!!!

You'er so very welcome. Enjoy your reading!

Schuyler