SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Can an Automotive Clear coat be applied directly to raw bare

Can an Automotive Clear coat be applied directly to raw bare cold rolled steel and protect it from rust and the elements...? and if so, for how long..?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.

FitnessSpecialist :

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you available?

FitnessSpecialist :

Can you see our conversation?

Customer:

yes I can

FitnessSpecialist :

My name isXXXXX operate a restorative detailing business and have worked closely with automotive body repair technicians

FitnessSpecialist :

what sort of applications are you considering with your rolled steel?

Customer:

I am an Artist that uses the cold rolled sheet metal to create sculptures, I then heat it to bring out the colors in the steel. So I am looking to protect it with a clear Auto coat. Is this possible?

FitnessSpecialist :

Thats beautiful

FitnessSpecialist :

and yes it is possible, but I just want to make sure you have a reasonable understanding

FitnessSpecialist :

in modern rat rodding, people will actually use automotive clears over original partially rusted bodies to preserve the look

FitnessSpecialist :

its important to realize that automotive clearcoats are actually 2 parts(the coating, and the hardener)

FitnessSpecialist :

so you may be forced to brush it on, which should be fine

FitnessSpecialist :

now

FitnessSpecialist :

polyeurethane(in place of that 2 part mix that you would use strictly for painting cars through a pressurized gun)

FitnessSpecialist :

is commonly used

FitnessSpecialist :

The biggest issue when doing this(which is also the rule for cars) is having a surface for the coating to grab on to

FitnessSpecialist :

which will give you that solid durability

FitnessSpecialist :

the rust actually provides that

FitnessSpecialist :

so once you do your oxidation and rust process

FitnessSpecialist :

and stop it(with baking soda or whatever you use)

FitnessSpecialist :

then you would basically have the equivalent of a "scuffed" or "sanded" surface

FitnessSpecialist :

(similar to the automotive industry where they sand or "brillo" scuff a surface prior to painting

FitnessSpecialist :

does this make sense so far?

Customer:

Yes it does....I do grind/sand the steel with a grinder...will this be sufficient...?

FitnessSpecialist :

well i just wanted to use that example because paints and coatings have the best longevity when they have something to "grab"

FitnessSpecialist :

in your case, grinding would remove your rusting

FitnessSpecialist :

sorry

FitnessSpecialist :

i mean heating

FitnessSpecialist :

so when you heat to bring the colors, obviously its the top layers I presume that are burnished into color right?

FitnessSpecialist :

you still with me?

Customer:

I do grind the bare metal first then heat/burnish it, and the color is the top layers, I nothing else but clean the metal after the heating..

FitnessSpecialist :

oh ok

FitnessSpecialist :

well in that case the textured surface would allow it to stick

FitnessSpecialist :

i was going to say that you wouldnt want to grind off your heating treatment

FitnessSpecialist :

but youre not :)

FitnessSpecialist :

so in your case you can apply automotive clearcoat

FitnessSpecialist :

youre going to have to do thin coats

FitnessSpecialist :

Polyurethane(also a former automotive coating) would be great for this too

FitnessSpecialist :

this could be brushed on(for a little more texture) but also sprayed on..though you would need the appropriate tools for spraying

FitnessSpecialist :

problem is automotive coatings are transitioning to waterbased spray only clear

FitnessSpecialist :

coming from solvent based

FitnessSpecialist :

which could be brushed on easier

Customer:

Great....thank you for the information..

FitnessSpecialist :

heres what you can do

FitnessSpecialist :

visit a couple of body shops, see if they can sample you some of the clear coat they use.. maybe for a couple of bucks if they are insisting on getting something for it

FitnessSpecialist :

each shop will be using something different, i can almost guarantee that

FitnessSpecialist :

you could source your own urethane

FitnessSpecialist :

and experiment with application to get the look you like

FitnessSpecialist :

also though

FitnessSpecialist :

getting the smaller samples from the shops would allow you to listen to what they suggest as far as application, because they will have been working with the coating itself

Customer:

Sounds good, I will do this....thanks again

FitnessSpecialist :

you are very welcome - please remember to rate :)

FitnessSpecialist :

just hit reply back if you want to discuss further

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist