JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

If there are breakfast sausages in the freezer and the expiration

If there are breakfast sausages in the freezer and the expiration date was june 27 and its now aug 1, can i eat them?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify:

1. Have they been completely wrapped?

2. Are they freezer burnt?

3. Have they always been frozen?

4. Have you now thawed them and, if so, do they smell foul?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They were wrapped and boxed and they were bought refridgerated at the store then put in freezer at hone. They smell ok and no freezer burn.
Then they are totally fine and safe to consume. Enjoy!

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

~~ J.B.
Good afternoon, its Mike again. I helped you with the canned beans vs dry beans a while ago.

Typically expiration dates are a little conservative. Meaning, the people who package and manufacture the products want a little extra "room" in the event someone decides to eat them a day or so expired. Now I'm not saying do that but in the case of my own personal shopping

Either way, when fresh meat is kept cool until the exp date, and if otherwise frozen before the expiration date it is safe to eat. Though meat doesn't always taste best if frozen for extended periods of time. If the meat was kept perfectly cool like in the refrigerator before it was frozen then its fine. If for example the power went out and the fridge warmed up a little bit you couldn't really "trust" the date.

Either way as long as it was kept at cool temp before freezing, and frozen before the date the sausage is fine.

I often buy large amounts of fresh chicken and beef in bulk, freeze them for a long time and eat at later dates. While the "Expiration date" could have been months past, the meat is still fine because the freezing process halts degradation.

Also, with certain types of sausages(the ones always kept frozen) many of them are actually fully cooked(read the box to be sure) and only require heating - again though with fresh meat sausage its better to observe the date.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding. It was my pleasure to assist you again with more food chat!

Hi there. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.

Did I answer all of your questions or do you seek additional information?

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to give you excellent service!"

Otherwise, please be sure to provide a rating for the information I provided so that I receive credit for assisting you.

IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE A RATING, or if your rating is negative, then I will not be compensated.

If you experience any problems in providing a positive rating, please reply and let me know.

Thank you!

~~ JB
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, thanks! It went ok although i didnt eat much of them out of being nervous :) they were fully cooked but this is great help, thanks :)
You are very welcome. I look forward to your positive rating.

Best wishes!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.