lisalkawecki
lisalkawecki, Teacher
Experience:  certified teacher; educational consultant
20507158
Type Your Question Here...

What is the intended meaning behind this quote by John Dryden:

What is the intended meaning behind this quote by John Dryden: "Beware of the fury of the patient man." ? I am thinking that if you push a person to his or her limitations, something will occur postively or negatively? Any other thoughts?
Good afternoon,

I would be happy to assist you. In order for me to provide you with exactly what you need, please let me know if you need a specific length answer, (i.e. word count) and when you need this.

Thank you kindly,
Lisa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Lisa,

There is no specific word count, just some information to include in an upcoming group discussion

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Again,

I'm sorry, the discussion is coming up Wednesday the following week; 1 August 2012.

Thanks for letting me know, I will be able to have information posted for you this Thursday, (July 26th).Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you for the assist
Smile
just wanted you to know that I am currently writing and posting your information and you will have it shortlySmile
Good afternoon,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. The following is the information that you requested for your group discussion:

Beware of the fury of the patient man.", by John Dryden

The intended meaning behind this quote from John Dryden is with the implication that people who, as a rule, are normally very slow to become agitated, and angry, when it eventually happens, that these type of people do become angry, the anger is terrible. This quote is a warning to stay away from a normally calm person when he or she is angry because their anger, although few and far between, is much worst than a person who is quick to become angry.

**The saying, "Beware the fury of a patient man" warns people not to push a patient person too far***

Here is some additional information for your group discussion:

This quote originates from a Latin writer in the 1st century, Publilius Syrus. In the 17th century, John Dryden( who was British), used the quote, "Beware the Fury of a patient man" in a political poem, entitled, "Absalom and Achitophel". This poem was considered to be one of the greatest political poems in the English language.

Here's the poem:
Must I at length the Sword of Justice draw?
Oh curst Effects of necessary Law!
How ill my Fear they by my Mercy scan,
Beware the Fury of a Patient Man.

Also for your group discussion, this poem is a warning to beware of a person that is pushed too far, that is why the last line has become so famous because it sums up the whole poem. REmember, for your group discussion that this quote is a warning to all people to first not push people too far, and then second, to avoid these people when angered.

It was a pleasure helping you today. Please remember to click one of the happy or excited icons so that I may be paid. Please feel free to request me, LisaLKawecki, anytime in the future.
Have a great Thursday evening,
Lisa
Kiss
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lisa,

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX an even better response than I was expecting, it does hit the mark so to speak in helping me chart a direction of my discussion. I'm sure my fellow peers will also draw similar conclusions, but we will see