JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
14211116
Type Your Question Here...

is eating yogurt that is passed its experation date o.k. to

is eating yogurt that is passed its experation date o.k. to eat? I have never had any problems as long as it was refrigerated. I also freeze yogurt and eat it when it is passed expiration date. my son feels it is not safe to eat.
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify:

1. Has the yogurt already been opened?

2. Does the yogurt smell spoiled?

3. Is there any mold o the yogurt?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, yogurt smells fine, no mold. I have had yogurt for weeks past prime and not had an issue, and have froze outdated yogurt
Thank you. The yogurt is perfectly fine to consume, so long as it's been properly stored.

The date that is listed on the product is not an expiration date. It is a suggested guideline. Most dates are NOT expiration dates; you are not going to get sick because you eat something past its "best by" date.

You can certainly eat most foods beyond any "convenience date". Common sense, of course, rules. For an example, a steak a few days past a sell by date is probably not going to hurt you. A box of crackers 2 months past a best by or use by date are typically just fine.

Smell the food, does it smell OK? If it smells spoiled or rancid, toss it out.

Why is storage so important? Consider if you left the unopened yogurt in your hot vehicle for three days. The yogurt has a listed date of July 31. Even though July 31 hasn't arrived yet, would you consume it? I sure wouldn't. See, dates are NOT the critical thing. Proper storage is. The listed date is a recommendation but it's not a mandatory requirement. Proper storage matters. If it smells fine and looks fine, you're good to go!

For future reference, you will find this resource to be extremely helpful: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Nutrition-Health-Food-Labeling-646/food-expiration-dates.aspx

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Continue Conversation link.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with a four or a five so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Thank you for the recent opportunity to be of assistance with your information needs.

It means a great deal to me that you chose JustAnswer as your information resource.

I hope that we continue to earn your trust and confidence when you seek information in the future.

Best wishes and, thanks again.

~~ J.B.