Karel1
Karel1, Just know a little something
Experience:  about everything
24118
Type Your Question Here...

poem titled "when I go down Ebbretts field:appeared in sports

Customer Question

poem titled "when I go down Ebbretts field:appeared in sports section of a new york tabloid paper, at a time when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn. I would like to read it again.
Category: General
Expert:  Karel1 replied 2 years ago.
The name of the poem is Brooklyn August by XXXXX XXXXX. You would find it in your local library under XXXXX XXXXX nightmares. Or also on amazon.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I consider your service at least OK., based on the elapsed time it took. If I l am able to verify that it is the poem I am looking for, I will consider your service EXELCENT +++.
Thanks
Expert:  Karel1 replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately once in awhile there might be a question that we have no expert to answer a certain question. Your question was placed in our general category. We at just answer try to answer all questions in a very timely answer some almost instantly. However there are some that we cannot. As soon as you verify that this is the poem you are looking for. You can accept my answer for the payment. Thank you.
Karel1, Just know a little something
Experience: about everything
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

I don't believe XXXXX XXXXX's 'Brooklyn August' is the poem you are seeking, because it was first published in 1971 in Io magazine. Ebbet's Field no longer existed in 1971, as it was demolished on February 23, 1960, and the Brooklyn Dodgers played their last game there, on September 24, 1957.

I have researched this poem for you extensively and so far, have only found one poem entitled 'The Fall of Ebbets'. I do not find any poem entitled "When I go Down Ebbets Field":
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/stadiume.shtml
(Scroll all the way down to the bottom to read the poem)

Please let me know if this is the poem you are looking for and if not, I will continue searching. Just click "Reply to Expert" and direct the reply to me, 'Cher'.

Please do not rate until you are 100% satisfied and can give a positive rating. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

I'm just curious; was 'Brooklyn August' by Stephen King the poem you were looking for?

You rated the Expert who suggested that poem, but according to the information in your question, the poem you were seeking was written while the Dodgers were still playing in Brooklyn. Stephen King's poem appeared in a magazine, published for the first time, in 1971.

Did you find my answer helpful? I'm 'Cher', the second Expert who sent you an answer.

Please reply (do not rate) to let me know whose answer you meant to rate/give credit to. I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Cher,
Please excuse delay in responding to your email. I did timely answer it , but did not have correct address. Before I was able to straighten matters out, I was ill for a spell.
The answer you provided is not what I am looking for. I located a copy of the Stephen King book, but the poem "Brooklyn August" is not what I am looking for.
the poem in question was written in "Brooklyn" English, or "Brooklynese". Example :the title is "When I Go Down Ebbetts Field", rather than the correct "When I Go Down to Ebbetts Field. Another example: the famous pitcher Carl Erskin is referred to as Carl "Oiskin".
I am absolutely certain that I read the poem in the sports page of a New York daily newspaper. It most likely either in The Daily news or in the other tabloid, The Post. I am less certain about this: it may have been in one of the other NY dailies, such as The Herald Tribune,The Record
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your reply with additional information.

I'm sorry to hear you were ill and hope you are feeling much better, now!

I understand very well, what you are saying about the poem being written in 'Brooklynese' and being a native New Yorker, I heard this 'accent' all my life. Your 'examples' were excellent!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Funny, the Post only developed a reputation as a 'tabloid' in recent years. I used to read the Daily News, The Post, The Herald Tribune and the NY Times religiously, when I lived in NY. I'm now in South Florida (with all the other New Yorkers! lol).

Since you have still not found the poem, I will continue to research this for you further and let you know what I can find.

Stay well, and your patience is appreciated!

Best regards,
Cher