Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

Question for arborist.What is the average charge by a certified

Question for arborist.
What is the average charge by a certified arborist to walk around a property (less than an acre) and assess the condition of the trees in my yard?
And, is it signficantly better to hire an ISA member versus a non-member?
Thank you.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am still waiting for a response. Thank you.
Hello. I am a part time forest worker (the closest we have as arborist where i live, i manage 350 acre of forest). This include commercial lumber, orchard and a young arboretum.

Usually i charge between $15 and $30 an hour depending if the customer is rich or not. That is when no big equipment is needed (then i have to up the price and it can go up to $100 an hour). I often just charge the deplacement ($20) when it is for consulting only (many consulting arborist will charge by the hour). Pay scale show lower rate than i charge:
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Arborist/Hourly_Rate
but this probably don't include machinery cost and only include simple chain saw, pruning saw or consulting. Also there is lot more sloppy worker than good worker, so the average rate drift down because of this.

About ISA, it increase the chance but it's not a garranty of good work. Note that consultant also have one http://www.asca-consultants.org/

I usually recomment customer to get a second opinion before giving me the job. A consulting only arborist will give a more honest estimation but may lack field experience (unless he does this because of an accident or old age) while some full service arborists may over do prescription to get more work hour.

I always let new customers of mine some addresses they can go visit to see the places i manage yearly.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I will check out the website you provided. Good suggestion about second opinion.