Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Over the July 4th holiday one of my local cable stations was

Over the July 4th holiday one of my local cable stations was airing the HBO-produced series, "Band of Brothers". The 2nd episode, titled "Day of Days", portrays the D-Day drop of paratroopers beyond the Normandy beaches prior to the landings. The planes which carried the paratroopers (Douglas DC-3's I think) had a distinctive paint scheme consisting of a section of alternating vertical black and white stripes on each wing inboard of the engine as well as that same pattern painted on the rear of the fuselage between the cargo door and the tail section. Can you find out the meaning or purpose of this paint scheme? It certainly wouldn't have served to camoflage the aircraft.
Hello and welcome. You are totally right this don't help camouflage and they are not for prisoners planes either :). The purpose was to be a friend/foe identification method.

Those stripe are named D-Day invasion stripes. You can read more about them at this link: