P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
Type Your Question Here...

how do I add part B to my Social Security coverage

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me your age currently?

And I want to make sure we are taking about the same are referring to Part B Medicare?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 69 now. Yes I am referring to Part B Medicare.
Part B is automatic for most folks if they receive social security (it is the result of the years of paying into the system from payroll taxes)

But not everyone is automatically enrolled.

Tell me, what state do you live in?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you retired military?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the back and forth, but most folks who live in the US, are not military retired, and draw regular (retired) social security are automatically enrolled in Part B when they become eligible.

If you were not enrolled automatically, then you must wait until the next "open enrollment period)

You can sign up between January 1–March 31 each year. Your coverage will begin July 1. You may have to pay a higher premium for late enrollment (if you did not enroll when you first reached eligibility)

SO you have a year to wait.

You sign up next spring and you get coverage next July

There is an exception that allows you to participate in a "special enrollment period"

If you are currently working AND covered by an employer sponsored health plan, then when that coverage ends, ,you can apply During the 8-month period that begins the month after the employment ends or the group health plan coverage ends, whichever happens first

To sign up you call 1-800-MEDICARE
(this is social security)