Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
Type Your Question Here...

Was there a law or reward for placing fencing around grazing

Was there a law or reward for placing fencing around grazing land in Eastern Kansas during the quarantine for Texas Cattle Fever?
Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer.

I have not found any evidence for laws or rewards for fencing during the quarantine in Eastern Kansas. The laws restricted the movement of cattle except during the winter months. Eastern Kansas was experiencing a population boom during this time in part due to the introduction of barbed wire. This was an inexpensive alternative to fencing and allowed settlers to fence off their property and protect it. Once fencing started to go up, everyone fenced (ranchers, farmers, towns). In fact whole sections and even counties were fenced illegally as people tried to exclude others from prime water sources and grazing lands.

I hope this answered your question. Please let me know if you have any other questions.