PATRICIA
PATRICIA, Internet Researcher
Experience:  FUTURE DAYCARE OWNER, Gift of Discernment, ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN ARTS IN BUSINESS
Type Your Question Here...

Vital record in the stste of New york cannot find my marriage

Vital record in the stste of New york cannot find my marriage certificate were do I GOFROM HERE.
Category: General
Expert:  PATRICIA replied 2 years ago.

Hello j6b01p6z, here is some information that may help you:

You can go to the following website, and find some useful information depending on where you were married. I have also listed some fees and other helpful info. Good luck.

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/records.shtml

You can obtain a Marriage Record by appearing at the appropriate City Clerk office in person or mailing in a completed application (in PDF). You may also use City Clerk Online to fill out an application which you can print and bring to one the City Clerk's offices in person or mail in. We have records relating to all Marriage Licenses issued by our offices from 1930 to the present. If you obtained your Marriage License from a town or city clerk outside of the five boroughs of New York City, please contact the New York State Department of Health in Albany.

Fees
All fees listed are by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

• The fee for a Marriage Record for domestic use (short certificate) is $15 for the first copy and $10 for each additional copy.
    • Even if you searched yourself and discovered the original Marriage License number, you must still pay a minimum fee of $15.
  • The fee for a Marriage Record for foreign use (extended certificate) is $35 for the first copy and $30 for each additional copy.
    • This fee includes the search, Certification, and Hand Signature with Raised Seal.
    • For the certificate to be valid outside the United States, you must complete two additional steps:
      • Step one: take the document to the nearest County Clerk's Office to authenticate the City Clerk's hand signature, for a fee of $3.
        Find the locations of the Offices of the County Clerks
      • Step two: take the document to the New York State Department of State for the authentication of the County Clerk's signature and the attachment of an "Apostille," for a fee of $10.
        The Department of State is located at:

123 William Street
        19th Floor
        New York, NY 10038

Learn about the purpose of the Apostille via the Web site of the Department of State of the State of New York.
  • The fee to search for a Marriage Record is $5 for the first year.
  • The fee to search for a Marriage Record for a second year is $1 and the fee to search for any additional year is $.50 per year.
  • The fee for a Certification affixed on a Marriage Record is $10.
  • The fee for a Hand Signature with Raised Seal affixed on a Marriage Record is $10.

Locations for In-Person Requests

• You may obtain a Marriage Record from 1996 to present in person at any of our office locations.
  • You may obtain a Marriage Record from 1930 to 1995 at our Record Room Division located at our Manhattan Office.

Marriage Records Request by Mail

To obtain a Marriage Record by mail, please call the main office at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto request a form or download the Marriage Record mail request form here. All requests must be accompanied with a copy of valid identification as stated on the form.

Marriage Records Older than 50 Years

• A Marriage Record older than 50 years from today's date is considered a historic record and is available to the general public.
  • You may request a Marriage Record that is older than 50 years either by mail as described above or by visiting our Record Room Division in our Manhattan office with the appropriate fee.

Marriage Records Less than 50 Years Old
If you wish to request a Marriage Record created within 50 years from today's date, you must meet one of the following criteria:

• You are one of the spouses, or
  • You have written, notarized authorization from either spouse, or
  • You wish to purchase a Marriage Record for another person to be mailed directly to that other person's address based on your sworn statement (the record will not be given to you), or
  • You are an attorney and you require the record as evidence in a legal proceeding, or
  • Both spouses are deceased and you can present their original death certificates, or
  • You have a judicial or other proper purpose.

Procedure for either Spouse

• You will need proper identification and the appropriate fee.
  • You will be asked to fill out an application where you will provide all of the information you have about your wedding and the location of our office where you first obtained the license.

Procedure for Persons with Written Authorization from either Spouse

• You may give any person you like written authorization to obtain your Marriage Record.
  • You must provide the person an original consent letter that you signed and is notarized.
    Download a sample consent letter
  • Your representative will not be able to use a photocopy or fax copy of the original letter.
  • Your representative must be named in the letter and the name must be exactly the same as the name on your representative's proper identification.
  • Your representative must provide the appropriate fee by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

Procedure for an Attorney

• If you are an attorney, you may obtain a confidential Marriage Record if you require the Marriage Record as evidence in a legal proceeding.
  • If you are making the request in person, you must present either a valid New York State Secure Pass or a business card and matching proper identification.
  • You must provide the appropriate fee by credit card, attorney's check or money order payable to the City Clerk.
  • You may send a messenger or representative on your behalf if you give them an original signed letter from you on your letterhead where you name the messenger or representative and where you make this statement: "the Marriage Record is required as evidence in a legal proceeding."
  • The messenger or representative must present proper identification and the appropriate fee by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

Procedure when both Spouses are Deceased

• When both spouses are deceased, their Marriage Record may be obtained by anyone presenting both parties' original Death Certificates along with proper identification and the appropriate fee by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

Procedure for a Judicial or other Proper Purpose

• If you have a judicial or other proper purpose you may obtain a confidential Marriage Record if you have the correct documentation.
  • One example of a judicial or other proper purpose is a Marriage Record needed by a party to claim benefits. The original letter from the agency requesting the Marriage Record would be considered correct documentation.

Proper Identification
If you do not have proper identification, you may give written authorization to another person with proper identification to obtain your record.

PATRICIA, Internet Researcher
Experience: FUTURE DAYCARE OWNER, Gift of Discernment, ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN ARTS IN BUSINESS
Expert:  PATRICIA replied 2 years ago.
Did my answer help?