Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

my glasses developed small scratches and are slightly like

my glasses developed small scratches and are slightly like being in a fog type feeling. I've had others scratch in the past so I used a special cloth so that they wouldn't scratch. They are transition glasses and I really like them. I vaguely remember there being a way to fix this, but I can't remember how. Please help!
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Are the lenses of your glasses made of polycarbonate material?

I understand that they are transition glasses, but do they also have an anti-reflective coating?

Thanks for all your additional information.
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Alan, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Sorry for the double post; I experienced a site glitch.

Were you given the cloth that removed the scratches from the place where you bought the glasses last time, or did you buy it on your own?

Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i used a special cloth so that they would not scratch, like ones had in the past!

yes, poly

yes, reflective coating

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Alan and thanks for your reply.

If the scratches are quite deep, it would be best to bring your glasses to the place where you bought them or to an optician's office and find out if they can be repaired. Light scratches may be gotten out with this recommended method:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7501004_repair-scratches-transitions-lenses.html

The grease pencil mentioned, is also called a 'white Sanford peel-off china marker'.

I think the cloth you're thinking of is either a microfiber cloth, as recommended at the site above, or a chamois cloth (also called a 'shammy' cloth), which is very soft and does not leave lint.

However, if your glasses have an anti-reflective coating, using the above method will worsen their condition, so don't use it.

If the scratches are bad enough that you see a foggy-type effect, unfortunately, you might have to replace the glasses.

Please let me know if you need any additional information or clarification by clicking 'Reply' and directing your response to me, 'Cher'.

A Positive Rating and Feedback are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher