A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

cooking with crock pot... If I am trying to cook my 5 lb.

cooking with crock pot...

If I am trying to cook my 5 lb. pork butt roast in my crock pot and I need it to be done in 7 hours, do I put the setting on high or low? I wish my crock pot had hours on the dial but it only has high or low. Thank you

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Either temperature will get the pork cooked, but I like to cook mine on low since slow cooking makes pork more tender. It is mostly a matter or preference.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I too would prefer to cook it on low to get it tender but I wasn't sure if I cooked it on low, if it would be tender all the way through. But you're saying it should cook all the way through if I cook it on low for 7 hours? Thanks!

Yes, it will cook all the way through in 7 hours. Just leave the lid on it the whole time. It doesn't cook as well if you peek. For large pieces that I am cooking for barbeque, I have to cut them so they will fit and the lid will go on tightly.