A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

When a person is using a Brine for any type of food, why is

When a person is using a Brine for any type of food, why is sea salt or some other natural salt better than plain table salt?
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Table salt contains anti-caking agents that can cause the water/liquid the food is brined in to look less than clear. There are no health concerns with using it. It is just a visual preference. Most cooks use kosher salt because it is much cheaper than sea salt. If you have a cheap source of sea salt, that is fine to use, but kosher salt will give a better-looking finished product than table salt. There would be no noticeable taste difference regardless of which one you use.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awesome; very informative reply; I've never used or seen in the grocery store a type of salt that is supposed to be Kosher?

I've got this supposedly fine gound sea-salt from Spain thru Morton...
It is definately different than the table-top salt....

It seams to be really good salt for cooking and further seasoning.

It takes only around 1/3rd the salt.

There is a phraze that states something like this: "a little bit of truth, truencates the lier"...... 06/09/12

LOL. You may find kosher salt in bags, or it may be in the pickling section of your grocery store. It costs about twice what the familiar blue round boxed Morton's table salt does. Real sea salt on the other hand (fleur de sel) can be $30-40 a pound. While it might be nice to use it for your delicate homemade crackers to go with your grandma's famous foie gras, it definitely isn't something you want to use for pickling or putting up green beans Wink

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thank you for your time and expertise about the salts, and you are very attractive in your photo....

Thank you for the kind words. Good luck with your cooking.

A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience: 30 years in research