TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Entrepreneur, Life Coach and Social Worker
64783947
Type Your Question Here...

For my commercial website, should I create content in the format

For my commercial website, should I create content in the format of articles on the site, or in the format of a blog?

Please provide links to people discussing this issue.

Thank you.

CoachJenK :

Hi. In terms of your website, it is known that blogs rank quite high in search engines and the reason for this is that search engines like content that gets updates frequently. So if you are creating a commercial website and can update frequently in the blog with pertinent content with specific keywords relating to your subject then google and other search engines like this a lot. Stagnant sites do not get the same type of rankings because they are stagnant. Fresh and pertinent content will always work better. http://contentbasedseo.com/blog-statistics-rise-again/

CoachJenK :

http://ericksoncreative.com/wordpress-2/google-wordpress-a-good-mix

CoachJenK :

http://increaserss.com/for-a-high-ranking-blogs-can-help-your-website/

CoachJenK :

I can say in the several businesses that I won, I recently converted all of them from stagnant website to wordpress blogs and have seen my rankings increase.

CoachJenK :

I hope this information has been helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Customer:

Yes, I'm aware of the importance of fresh content. However, this is assuming all things equal. So it's a question of adding, say, a new article per week to the website structure, or adding a new article per week to the blog.

Customer:

I do appreciate your links, and that's useful, but perhaps you could comment on the "all things being equal" and "assuming content would be updated equally regularly". Thanks.

CoachJenK :

The structure of your site should remain as constant as possible such as the layout, design, buttons, etc. The content in the blog should be updated regularly and a once a week schedule seems reasonable, assuming you have the time to deliver fresh content. The button for this can read "Thoughts" just as an example and when the visitor clicks on that they can see a scrolling list of of your recent entries. The entire structure of the site can be a wordpress blog and you can have one specific area within the site where you are updating with fresh content....articles pertaining to your expertise written by you or guest experts. And again make the content keyword rich pertaining to your niche.

CoachJenK :

Hope this is helpful....it seems as if you are already quite savvy in this area. I wish you well. You may also want to reach out to someone who designs complete wordpress sites so that they can help set up the in depth background stucture for you.

CoachJenK :

So again dont make too many or frequent changes to the structure...such as buttons, etc. But keep the content in your articles fresh. And when I speak I am assuming your entire site is a WordPress blog with one button on top that lets the user see the interesting articles.

CoachJenK :

Best of luck to you.

CoachJenK :

One more thing I wanted to mention which is obvious, but I wanted to state it anyway and that is your site needs to be as user friendly as possible. I have seen too many sites where colors, fonts, location of buttons and too many changes to structure make it difficult for the user. Repeat visitors are the bread and butter to any business and website and you dont want a visitor to be confused if each time they come to your site that things look different in terms of the structure.

CoachJenK :

i have seen sites with dark backgrounds and very light writing making it almost impossible to read the content.

CoachJenK :

Any user wants things to be reliable and familiar.

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help. I'll read more at those links.

Customer:

I'm investing serious money in to a software product I'm creating and I'm making everything very nice and professional, so the website will be more than a wordpress blog (though, who knows, maybe wordpress can also function as the backbone to my website). But I do like the idea of doing both at the same time: writing new articles on the blog, and making the blog archive the same as the website article archive; while being sure content isn't duplicated on the site which I'm aware will lead to SEO problems.

I think that sounds great and I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how it all goes.
Jen