SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I am wondering if I need a building permit to close in my carport or i

I am wondering if I need a building permit to close in my carport or if I need to pull a permt. I didnt pulll one for my porch but it doesnt attach to thr dwelling. I dont want to call city hall becausethen they will for SURE come by to check.
I livr in gibson CO Tennessee. I am not in the city limmits.
Category: General
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still waiting. This is a "Builder" type question really. It got locked twice for some reason. Kinda frustrated over this questions results.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
Hi Jeff,

Any time you alter a building in the state of Tennessee, even accessory structures or non enclosed structures you will need a permit. The only time you wouldn't would be if it was aesthetic finishing changes, painting, wallpaper(for interior) or staining etc..

You would need one for any alternation, erection or demolition, movement and even unfortunately even for repairs. Also, your permit will require inspection during the process.

So yes, even if it was an "old repair"*(and I use the " " heavily) to enclose a once "there" door, and you are caught without permit, you will end up paying fines probably costing more than a few permits themselves as well as the trip themselves. If it goes past the realm of basic repair, you need a permit.

Since you are outside the city limits, the need for a permit still applies

Here is your web listing for Gibson(city of) http://www.gibsoncountygov.com/local-government/gibson/

And Gibson County, which I believe is the one you have to use since you are out of the city limits http://www.gibsoncountygov.com/local-government/county-government-contact-information/

Just for reference, to be safe, even though its a separate structure(your unattached porch) if the county would have deemed that a non-repair(your word vs theirs) you would have gotten in trouble as you needed a permit, so you definitely should get one this time for your carport.

Good luck during your build Jeff

MikeSmile
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist