Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Looking for an online game class- Hello how are you doing?

Looking for an online game class- Hello how are you doing? I was hoping you could assist me in finding an online video game class to take. I have done a little research and found some good ones but I was wondering if you had any knowledge on the subject. I am looking for something you can take totally online, can only take one class to get started if you want to, and focuses on the artistic and design element. Something where you can register for just one class and get credit for it. Thanks for your assistance!
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Hello. MIT open course have many video game related course.

Here is one as an example:
But you can browse the list of courses and search for "game" to find them all quickly.

As for artistic side, computers and game consoles are powerful enough now that there is very few limitation left. That mean that any art course are applicable.

For design tips, there is noting better than to play classic good games and learn from them. As this can be very time consuming, you can see lot of "let's play" video game footage covering complete game. Some games can even be see as design courses, for example "i want to be the guy" is a big dissertation on hard punishing game.

Just ask if you want any more precisions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Coolness. Yah ive chekced into the MIT open course ware. It seems like a great oppurtunity. However; I dont think you can get actual credit from it and it is self study without grading by teachers. I would probably be more interested in something that is interactive and you can get credit for or a sself study package that if you complete you can also get credit for. Thanks!
Sorry for the delay, i relocated in a very remote area for the summer and the satellite internet installer came just today.

Indeed the MIT open course ware does not give any degree. For that you may look into something like but they don't have such curriculum at the moment (nothing bad in asking them for it).

You may also look into the "Google summer of code" event where you can be paired with a mentor on projects (some game related).

But really, when it come to video games, the best is really to start on your own. Very few with a degree in a related field actually get a job in the industry without having first did something like "Fez", "within a dark forest", "cho ren sha 68k" or "Cave Story" to show to the employer. If you want to just do art and design, you can try to join many of the source forge project currently in development, many are looking for artist. All those things are "logged" and are accessible online independently so if the quality of the end product is good, this is as good as a degree or a recommendation letter.

It's very rare to start working as a game designer. It's usually a position you get to after being known internally perhaps as a musician, a 3d modeler or project manager. If you have any skill in those area, you can try to apply to those and then learn the rope of game design from withing the company.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great, Surprisingly enough, I have just started my own video game project. Its an alternate reality style deal with webcams and video. I still would like to look into a comprehensive video game course ware though as gaming is one of my passions. Can you recommend any of the most immersive game setups that are out there like and 3d or virtual reality with augmentation?
This kind of application of virtual reality to games is still niche. I suspect that is where Nintendo want to go with the Wii U and Microsoft will copy them with the Kinect 2, so you may look into those game console development kit. Those are relatively expensive so using the Nintendo 3DS dev kit may be cheaper and allow faster prototype development (the back camera allow for things along those line).

You might also look into this:
The whole system is available as open source software and would be very applicable to augmented reality applications.

The best usable thing i saw so far for reality augmented is this:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Ted talk looks amazing, and that learning cam looks like some really cool developing technology. ill check it out further. Thanks man!
My pleasure.