SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I have been looking for a job for a while now. I know that

I have been looking for a job for a while now. I know that sometimes its all about how things are worded to catch the eye. I applied for so many jobs. I finally got a reply and I want to make sure that I am gonna do this right. I am suppose to respond to these questions asap. I wrote down what I am going to say but just want another input.
The position applied for is Business Development assistant 1 for general merchandise.
the questions are: - Why do you feel you are the most qualified candidate for the job?

- What are your top three strengths as they apply to this role?

- What are you top three areas of opportunity?
- If you had to pick your top three preferred categories, what would they be? House wares, Entertainment, Tobacco/Publishing, Apparel, TXBY, Candy, Toys, School/Home Office, Card & Party or Grilling?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.

FitnessSpecialist :

Hi are you available?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i am here

FitnessSpecialist :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX is everything ?

Customer:

I am good thanks

FitnessSpecialist :

So tell me about the employer you got your reply from

Customer:

its a grocery store H E B.

Customer:

Its actually my husband. He has been looking for a job for months now and finally got a response to come and interview.

FitnessSpecialist :

strictly food type of groceries? Or other mixed things like housewares and seasonal items?

Customer:

all of the above

Customer:

he has to respond to these questions before he can get the interview.

FitnessSpecialist :

And the position sounds like its a marketing and store management position?

Customer:

Yes the title is business development assistant.

FitnessSpecialist :

So the questions as listed are somewhat unique to your husband, his personality and so forth

FitnessSpecialist :

Why do you feel you are the most qualified candidate for the job?

- What are you top three areas of opportunity? -

If you had to pick your top three preferred categories, what would they be?

FitnessSpecialist :

So for the first one, hwat kind of formal education and experience does he have?

Customer:

yes that question is easy but he was wondering how to word the others

FitnessSpecialist :

his strengths?

FitnessSpecialist :

the next one?

FitnessSpecialist :

Just let me know how you want me to work with you two on these questions

FitnessSpecialist :

It can be like you give the trait and we work up some descriptions

FitnessSpecialist :

or whateveryou like, whatever would help

Customer:

BACHELOR of ARTS in BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION & ACCOUNTING

MASTER of BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION and FINANCE

FitnessSpecialist :

Thats perfect actually. I would build your sentence around having the formal education and foundation of (his MS degree) and then lead into his work experience thus far, especially any applicable retail

FitnessSpecialist :

sorry not sentence, the reasons* I meant to say

Customer:

he worked as an accountant, loss prevention agent, managed clothing store

Customer:

we are just wondering how to word it.

Customer:

I thrive in challenging and results-oriented environments and it is these qualities that attract me to a career with a company such as yours and i am confident that i am able to perform the duties effectively and efficiently.

Customer:

??

FitnessSpecialist :

excellent

Customer:

thats what I have for the first question.

FitnessSpecialist :

and mention his "forward thinking" for that touch on the marketing portion of management

FitnessSpecialist :

After that sentence start a sentence along the lines of during his time in management position

Customer:

The second question: Reliability, properly energized and punctuality

FitnessSpecialist :

one thing about interviews is sometimes employers want the person to focus on why THEY are good for the position itself

FitnessSpecialist :

and give examples

FitnessSpecialist :

so a strong example would be recommended

FitnessSpecialist :

as in the WHY he is going to be able to thrive

FitnessSpecialist :

like a past experience or hardship that he truly thrived in.

Customer:

and the next question we have: advancement, to promote companies goal and moving forward as quickly as permited

FitnessSpecialist :

Because think about it.. anyone can type something, there needs to be a real situation and reason to drive that 'something' home.

FitnessSpecialist :

the next one being the areas of opportunity?

Customer:

ok

FitnessSpecialist :

you still with me?

Customer:

yes i am here

Customer:

ok i will get a good example

Customer:

what about the next questions do my answers sound good.

FitnessSpecialist :

The important thing is making sure that anything your husband says in the answers - has backup

Customer:

yes i understand.

FitnessSpecialist :

like for example you say "promote company goals". How obviously some of these answers are multiple sentences so the idea is to paint the picture to the person reading the applications as to the type of quality person your husband is

Customer:

He actually has some good examples. of work he has done in the past.

FitnessSpecialist :

so they get the idea, "yes thats the guy we want here"

Customer:

ooooh i get what you saying.

FitnessSpecialist :

great and thats just what you need, using his experiences to solidify the fact that HEB needs him

FitnessSpecialist :

because he got the response, but obviously theres a preliminary "interiview" before hes actually interviewed

Customer:

for whatever he put he needs examples of why he would be good and what he can bring to the company?

FitnessSpecialist :

so you want the paint a QUICK, CONCISE picture of what your husband will do for the company

FitnessSpecialist :

right, short, confident and to the point

Customer:

ok well this is what I need to hear.

FitnessSpecialist :

you dont need examples for every single thing because its not a "story" but there needs to be a bit of supporting information of the relative "claims" hes making

FitnessSpecialist :

does this make sense?

Customer:

yes i understand

Customer:

maybe one good example.

Customer:

ok this is what i needed to hear, thanks for the help. Just needed a little help.

FitnessSpecialist :

:)

FitnessSpecialist :

Excellent

Customer:

have a great day. Until next time.

FitnessSpecialist :

remember this is his "intermediate" interview - short, confident and to the point as to why he is the one for the job. Keep it strong and objective.

FitnessSpecialist :

Best of luck with you guys, let mek now if I can be of help in the future

Customer:

ok i will thanks.

FitnessSpecialist :

please remember to share positive feedback so I am credited with the assist with you :)

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist