A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612
Type Your Question Here...

What is the value of Sterling Silver flatware? I have six

What is the value of Sterling Silver flatware? I have six 5-piece serving set (buttercup pattern) and some serving pieces (cake cutter and butter knives).
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Gorham made the Buttercup pattern in just about every possible utensil there is. What it is worth depends on quality. Second hand retail for "excellent condition" pieces is about $375 per place setting. There are several varieties of butter spreaders going from about $35 to $60 depending on whether they are hollow handle or flat handled. Likewise, they make several cake cutters and servers that range from $50-80. Of course, those are retail prices. You will find prices on ebay and elsewhere as little as 50% of the retail.