Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Question for an interior decorator if you have such an expert: I

Question for an interior decorator if you have such an expert:

I have a one bedroom basement suite with only one small window in the living room so it is very dark. It is an open slate to redecorate. Here is link to the color of the carpet:
http://photobucket.com/getruecoolrefrigerator The color is more taupe than grey and there are the pinky overtones which I don't like. The kitchen cabinets & appliances are white so that room is fine. The walls are currently a typical builders paint from 1994, light with a hint of pinkish. My couch is a taupe microsuede. Bedding, pictures, picture frames, tables in livingroom, lamps are all needed so whatever would make it brighter, warm & cheery! So you don't feel like you are living in a hole!
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to the Just Answer General category and thanks for your question. We don't have an interior decorator, but I would be happy to try to help.

Are there any bright colors that you love, and others that you hate? Turquoise, magenta, hot pink, yellow? Do you prefer more modern or traditional furniture and accessories? Does the carpeting extend throughout the apartment or is it just in one area? Any restrictions against painting the walls/woodwork/ceiling?

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello. From your description it seem that your problem is more with a lack of light than any color arrangement? Getting warm color will tend to make the place even darker if no additional light is added. because of that i would suggest the use of a (or many) light tube(s) (if possible):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_tube
It's like a sky light but it can bring light from a roof trough wall down to the basement.

For the coloring i would go with a totally white environment and use different texture of white material to make it less monotonous.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's just a rented apartment so although a great idea, the light tube is not feasible. do you have other suggestions for lighting? I do have the taupe couch, so how would I incorporate white. Is there a particular brand or colour white as there are many different kinds of white. The carpet is throughout the apartment except for the kitchen.

The couch is contemporary, taupe with steel legs. Looking for ideas on lamps, kinds of end tables, pillows, how to make the small window in livingroom look larger, etc.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Essentially, all object/material in the apartment that is not close to white will absorb lot of light. Usually in a basement it's not pitch dark but just not lighted enough. So you may include many low power LED lighting (Philips is starting to have a good selection of those). You can scatter them on all the apartment surface and they will not be as aggressive as a big fluorescent tube. Lamp store have plenty of catalog on that kind of lighting.

Any kind of big lamps stand will block light from the window, the more discrete the lamp (and higher), the less shadow they will cast.

As for the carpet, many landlord often accept to change that now because it's costly to maintain. From the picture of it, it's a significant light absorber, not for it's color (it's relatively pale) but by it's texture and overall surface as you say it's everywhere except the kitchen.

The taupe couch would pop more if all the environment was white and as it's a neutral color it would go well with it.

The many kind of white is what is the key. If it's the same texture it will look very bland. So if you can mix matte, satin and glossy to define space it would work well (never use glossy or satin paint, they are a pain to clean, but they work well for object and fabric).

As for making the window look larger, using blind instead of curtain can help.
Martin, Engineer