Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

The board under the strings of my grand piano is dirty. Ive

The board under the strings of my grand piano is dirty. I've tried a paint brush (bristles not really long enough), no vacuum has an instrument with long enough bristles or enough sucking strength. I have tried blow drying and sucking with a vaccuum at the same time. This was helpful but there is still a layer of filth. Q-tips work but it has been days and they aren't long enough for some areas. Computer keyboard duster cans are not strong enough and I didn't do this for long due to unknown damage this product could do to the instrument.
I found a giant pipe cleaner (big fuzzy worm) that I worked under the strings with wood skewer sticks, but it really didn't get the gunk up.
Any ideas how to get this clean?
Category: General
Expert:  Marcy replied 4 years ago.

Hello there

Have you tried the extra long Q-tips that are used in doctor's offices? You can get them at most surgical supply stores - my family owns a cleaning business and they order them by the bundle. You should also look into purchasing any number of mini-vacuums that have lengthy mini hoses -- the better ones are online (I have seen them at small novelty stores but nothing at any stores like WalMart or anything like that). Here is an internet link to a company that sells several different mini vacuums and hoses. http://www.nextag.com/mini-vacuum-cleaner/shop-html

Other than those few suggestions, you are most likely looking at a very long feather duster if you can find one that is long and thin enough.

I hope that helps. THANK YOU !!

---MARY

Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello,Customerand welcome back to Just Answer!

You can buy a set of special tools made specifically for this purpose, to clean the soundboard of your Grand piano:
http://www.spurlocktools.com/id32.htm

Here are some additional ideas and precautions from piano professionals and piano owners re: cleaning the soundboard:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Forum/3/topic/003897/Number/0/site_id/1#import

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Smile

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist