JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
14211116
Type Your Question Here...

How do I know if my yogurt was bad? I bought some, was enjoying

How do I know if my yogurt was bad? I bought some, was enjoying it ( vanilla flavor) and after eating about 35% of it, I noticed a few little lumps in it. It was mostly creamy, but there were some small, random lumps throughout. I stirred the cup and it got better, but still there was some small lumps that didnt go away. It tasted fine, i was enjoying it, until i saw the lumps. Then I stopped eating cause I couldnt enjoy it, worrying. How soon before I would get sick and do you think it was bad?
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Lumps in yogurt are entirely fine and normal. All you have to do is stir (as you did). You would know yogurt has gone sour because it stinks incredibly bad. However, even when it stinks, you can still use it for baking (incredibly delicious) in cakes, etc. as an oil substitute!

If the yogurt had started to mold (again, you would see that on the top), then you'd have to pitch it.

Otherwise, yogurt has a long shelf life when maintained in a proper-temp refrigerator.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what about the small lumps that remained after stirring? Some still remained?
Those are perfectly fine. No problem with them. Lumps are a normal part of yogurt making. Really.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do you know so much about yogurt?
Because I make it, I buy it, I eat it, I cook with it, and I bake with it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks so much, I will try and relax and I feel reassured. Much obliged.
You are most welcome! Best wishes!
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.