Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Looking for any information re: Asian-American artist Mas Konatsu,

Looking for any information re: Asian-American artist Mas Konatsu, a listing of his works, galleries that offer them. He was previously centered in San Jose, CA.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello Louis, and welcome to Just Answer!

I've found the following information for you regarding Mas Konatsu: You can contact Worthpoint to find out any further information about the artist. I've checked, and there are no current eBay auctions for his paintings.

As you can see as stated at the site above and from your own experience, his work is extremely difficult to find. This is because it is primarily in private collections. I think you'll find the following article interesting and informative. Although the article is not very recent, it might be a good idea to contact any/all of the groups where he is listed as a member, to find further information about a listing of his works and/or Galleries that may have them: Group 21, Los Gatos, San Francisco Art Guild and Allied Artists Guild.

The article is a little difficult to read in that format, so I have printed it for you below:

"Mas Konatsu's acrylic paintings are distinctly his, soft colors blended together to form an uncomplicated, pleasing design. As a native of Orosi, Calif, his farm life background and closeness to nature are reflected in his unusual landscapes. Konatsu received his first art training from his father, then developed his talent and won his first award at the age of twelve. His formal art education was received at the College of Sequoias,Visalia and San Jose City College, San Jose, Calif. Mas maintains a studio in San Jose where he is a resident. He is a member of Group 21, Los Gatos, San Francisco Art Guild and Allied Artists Guild. He has exhibited throughout the United States and received numerous awards in competitive, outdoor, invitational and juried shows. His work is in private collections in the United States and Europe."

Please click 'Reply', directing your post to me, "Cher", if you have additional questions.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was able to find the worthpoint article on line, but it profiles only one of his works that is currently for sale and doesn't give its worth. I have three original Konatsu paintings I purchased over forty years ago, but I can find no gallery showing his work, no way of assessing their worth, and have no idea whether I should insure them or for how much. Do you have contact information for him or any knowledge of a gallery or dealer handling his work or ANY way to evaluate their worth?
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Louis and thanks for your reply with additional information.

The painting I viewed at Worthpoint seems to have been sold in August of 2009 (unless you viewed a different one) and yes, they do not divulge the selling price unless you join. You can sign up for a free 7-day trial, though, see how much the painting sold for, plus get an idea of the worth of the paintings you own.

Since information about the artist and his paintings is not easily accessible online, at this point, your best course of action would be to have the original Konatsu paintings evaluated by an experienced, licensed art appraiser in your area, then you will know their approximate value and how much to insure them for.

Best regards,