Sijad H.
Sijad H., Consultant
Experience:  Jack of all trades. I know a little bit about a lot of bit.
61965098
Type Your Question Here...

I TAKE LASIX SOME PEOPLE SAY DRINK LOTS OF WATER OTHERS SAY

Customer Question

I TAKE LASIX SOME PEOPLE SAY DRINK LOTS OF WATER OTHERS SAY NO WHO IS RIGHT
Category: General
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you.

Lasix is a diuretic. It prevents the body from absorbing too much salt in turn allowing it to be passed through your urine. While takin Lasix you will urinate a lot more often, therefore making dehydration a possibility. Therefore while taking Lasix, you should drink plenty of water. I hope this answers your question, if you have further concerns or questions please let me know.

Sijad H., Consultant
Experience: Jack of all trades. I know a little bit about a lot of bit.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Actually you should drink based on thirst.

Lasix is given to cause diuresis..and you should not over compensate by drinking a lot of water..but drink based on how thirsty you are.

In fact a new steady state of intake and out put is established when on a diuretic.

How much extra water you need is quite variable.

In other words...you body is going to tell you how much water you need..and you should drink on that basis...not over drink.

Use reply if you need to clarify

Please don't forget to complete the process so I am credited for work and expertise. Even after we are done come back if you need to. Positive/excellent feedback the best! Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Expert:  Nurse72 replied 4 years ago.
It also depends what you are taking the lasix for. If its for CHF or control of ascites you would be on a fluid restriction by your doctor. Drinking too much in these cases would defeat the whole purpose of taking the lasix.