SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

golf question - please do notanswer unless you are a PGA professional

golf question - please do notanswer unless you are a PGA professional or LDA Long driver, or an awesome bomber of the rock!
Why is it that I struggle to hit the ball 265-300 yards and typically it is 270 max. Sometimes I will get in a groove and go 300. When I will see un athletic senior fellow that just look slow, uncoordinated, not athletic hit it 300 yards all of the time?
Category: General
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
waiting for a golf Expert
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Are you up for some insight from a biomechanical specialist that was an avid golfer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let's give it a try!
Excellent.

First 2 questions I actually have for you are in regards XXXXX XXXXX round of play:

How do you feel your swing conditioning changes(if any) from hole #3 to hole #16-17? Do you feel like your swing is the same, as well as the effort involved?

Second, are their issues with ball trajectory that you feel are the cause? For example is your driver trajectory a little higher than should be? Are you either getting under the ball or topping it off?

What I am trying to get an idea of is, the groove you get into when does this most often occur during the round?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I seem to go 2 months and could hit a ball standing on my head. And then all of the sudden nothing is working and I start cutting across the ball, slicing, topping, feel like my swing is not powerful, hard time hitting solid shots and hands feel like they are working against each other. Awkward and can't get back on track. Maybe wake up 2 days later and its all on again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tour Pro to BAD

What are you doing for skill training and honing?

Do you play just the rounds or are you taking time to train certain motor patterns to ensure that when you apply them during the round they are already "cemented"?

Obviously it would be important to have a visual evaluation of your swing, but my mind quickly goes to you basically overthinking your swing. If you begin to overreach your concentration levels you will run into issues of trying to muscle the ball down . In cases like the big hitters obviously they put a lot of "body" behind the ball, but they have trained that motor pattern specifically for it and tailored their swing for it. Guys who consistently look to hit the ball FAR versus hitting the ball WELL(which translates into better contact and more distance) always end up trying to put every little muscle behind it. In cases like that, your shoulders drop to try to power through and you get under the ball, or your forearms stiffen up and your shot isn’t as “handsy” as it should be – which would equate to shanking the daylights out of the ball.

I would be willing to bet the “groove” you mentioned is probably a time where you are playing but you aren’t really thinking “I HAVE TO HIT LONG” – I would bet its something where you play to enjoy the day, or you get wrapped up in the good time you're having with your partners, your weight transfers perfectly, your shoulders stay nice and level which in turn keeps your club level, your hands turn over perfectly.

I would recommend going to the range, and starting with your 5 wood, which is obviously easier to control hit some balls. Completely free your mind to the point where you stop caring about how far you are hitting, after you get consistent, whatever the distance, move to your 3 wood, and hit some more - keeping the same mindset. Who cares about hitting long, focus(without overthinking) about a nice calm fluid swing with little to no effort on the downswing. If you can consistently hit 10 balls, then move to your driver. Take those same patterns that same thought. Stop worrying about the distance, focus on a swing that is so effortless that you expend so little energy that you could hit 1000 balls.

I have a strong feeling you are overthinking and getting to the point where you think "Gotta hit long" on everything.

250-275 is a SOLID drive - 300 is great, but not every single person can consistently hit it and be able to play round after round of golf - which tells us theres a big "effort" involved in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert,

I am a long driver, not much of a course player! I have cemented my swing, hitting nearly a million golf balls. But, there are times where I cannot find my swing for the life of me. I cannot figure out why, tried about everything. Feels like hands fighting each other and swing doesn't feel like a power hit, doesn't even feel like I am able to hit a solid ball. I noticed swelling in my hands and shoulders the last couple of days, maybe overtraining or hands being swollen causing this. Any ideas why and how one of my long drive buddies is slow, uncoordinated, not athletic hits it 320 yards all of the time and looks like a huge circle and no effort?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i responded on the reply
Understood. The extra information on gametype and experience helps me understand much better what your situation is.

What has recently changed for you or what have you tweaked(if anything) in your swing? Are you doing more volume after a hiatus now that spring is here?

The inconsistency might be an overtrained or overreached motor pattern despite your swing being learned and dialed in, that is unless you think you are dealing with something else as judging by the swelling - which obviously would need something looked at if you have

Have you tried just a SOLID 7 days of rest?
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist