Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I cut back a large philadendron(spelling ??) plant and got

I cut back a large philadendron(spelling ??) plant and got some of the plant juice on my clothes. Is ther anything that I can do to remove the stains?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ivan, and welcome to Just Answer!

I'm assuming the stains are green, and you can follow the same directions for removing grass stains on clothing (the stains are caused by the green-pigmented chlorophyll in the plants). This has worked for me in the past--You will need: an enzyme laundry pre-treatment product, laundry detergent, rubbing alcohol, and chlorine bleach or color-safe bleach.

First, apply the enzyme pre-soak product or a teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent directly onto the stain. Next, rub the pre-treatment product or detergent into the stain vigorously, and then launder as usual. If the stain has not come out after laundering, do not put the clothing into the dryer, as that will set the stain; instead, apply some rubbing alcohol onto the stained area with a sponge and try to remove as much of the stain as possible, then launder as usual with detergent, again. If this still does not remove the entire stain, again, do not put into the dryer, but treat the stain with chlorine bleach, if the fabric of the clothing will tolerate it; otherwise, you can use a color-safe bleach.

The information found here will also be helpful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7777697_remove-plant-stains.html

The most important thing to remember is to not put the clothing in the dryer until you remove the stain completely, as this will 'set' the stain and then it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to remove.

I wish you much good luck and hope you are successful in getting out the stain!

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply' and directing your question to me, "Cher".

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried a stain remover for OIL and one for other stains with no results. It is not a grass(green) stain, it is black in color. I have tried amonia, vinegar and also tried to scrub the stain area with liquid soaps. NO diminishing of the stain is noted.

they garemet is RED TENNIS SHORTS, so the marks appear to be black.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ivan and thanks very much for your reply with additional information.

If the tennis shorts are red, the stain may appear to be black, but the plant juice is greenish.

As long as you haven't dried the shorts in the dryer after washing with detergent (if you've already washed them) you can still try the other methods I outlined. Try the rubbing alcohol on a sponge, but first test an inconspicuous area inside the shorts (perhaps the waistband) to make sure it doesn't cause the color to lighten. Since the shorts are red, I would not recommend using cholorine bleach, but do try a color-safe bleach. As an ezymatic pre-treatment product, try Oxi-Clean Max Force Laundry Stain Remover Spray. http://www.oxiclean.com/pre-treatment/Products/oxiclean-max-force-laundry-stain-remover-spray.aspx

If nothing else works, and you don't want to get rid of the shorts, you might try dyeing them a darker color like black or navy blue and that might cover/blend in with the stain. You could also only wear them around the house and/or when you're doing messy work inside or outside.

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I sent additional information regarding the stains. It is not a green grass stain. The plant is a large-leafed plant that grows like crazy here in Florida. It is green but the juice leaves a black mark whereever the juice touches clothing.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Ivan.

Yes, I received your other question with additional information about using the Woolite, etc., but it was a 'duplicate' question since this one is already open and we are currently working on it, so the question was closed in order to avoid extra charges for you.

I too, am in Florida and am familiar with the Philodendron. Unfortunately, the juice/sap of this plant is nicknamed 'devil's blood' because it stains the clothing and is very difficult to remove. After everything you've tried and everything I've recommended, if the stains remain, you have the alternative of bringing the shorts to a dry cleaner--make sure to tell them everything you've tried so far--and see if they can remove the stain with some chemical solvents. If you are not successful, as I mentioned previously, you will just need to keep the shorts as 'laundry day' emergency clothing, or use them when doing messy jobs, since they're already stained.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist