Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

RE PRUNING OF APRICOT TREES.TREE HAS BEEN THINNED OUT TO SIX

RE PRUNING OF APRICOT TREES.TREE HAS BEEN THINNED OUT TO SIX MAIN BRANCHES WITH CLEAR CENTRE.ON THE END OF THESE ARE LAST YEARS GROWTH ABOUT ONE AND A HALF METERS LONG.IS THIS WHAT I TRIM BACK.
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.

Apricots usually bear fruit on two and three -year -old wood. If you prune away all of the new growth from this past summer, you'd be removing wood that may bear over the next couple of years. What you do need to remove is new growth that shoots straight up, branches that cross each other, and branches that grow into the open center of the tree. If the tree is established and has borne fruit, you can also prune back branches that are over 3 years old. The following website has more information on pruning that is specific to Australia. Scroll down for the section on apricots.

http://www.cogs.asn.au/tips-and-techniques/pruning-stone-fruit/

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll get abundant crops.

Anna