Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Is this Assistant to XXXXX XXXXX, [email protected]

Is this Assistant to XXXXX XXXXX, [email protected] and phone number: XXX-XXX-XXXX, a scam?

Also I have to send money to:

XXXXX XXXXX
P.O. box 140
Columbus, GA 31826
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello Rhonda, and welcome to Just Answer.

Thanks very much for your question and your patience. Our apologies that you hadn't received an earlier answer. Various Professionals are online at different times; I just signed in and read your question.

As you can see, the email and phone number you included are 'X-d out' as a security measure so 'your' personal information is not able to be seen. However, if you write the email without the '@' and just leave a space and write the word 'at', and write the phone number without dashes but just spaces in between, they should come through. What company is XXXXX XXXXX with and why were you asked to send money to the person/address you included? Were you approached by the company first, through email or phone or did you initiate contact by writing/calling them?

If you include some additional details regarding your situation, I will be better able to assist you.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This was a job offer that came to my email. XXXXX XXXXX is a Doctor and Realtor, not a company. His email: colemandownataol.com Phone #:(NNN) NNN-NNNN My instructions were to buy Accounting software BS1 Accounting and my pay to be $400.00 a week with Benefits, 7 paid Holidays and Vacation. He sent me a check via FedEx. I was instructed to buy the software, keep my pay and then I am instructed to go to a Western Union Office and wire the money left over to: XXXXX XXXXX P.O. box 140, Columbus, GA 31826

The money that is to be left over is suspposed to be for a Mini Home Office which includes a Dell Laptop Computer, printer, fax and scanner. I did a Google search for XXXXX XXXXX and found some scam sites. I need to know if this is real or a Scam. I appreciate all the help you can give me.

Thank you,

Rhonda Stone
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi again, Rhonda and thanks very much for your reply with additional and helpful information.

This is definitely a scam and follows the pattern of many similar scams (usually which originate in Nigeria) which will only rob you of your money if you cash or deposit the check he sent you. I hope you have not yet done anything with the check.

The scam goes exactly as you described: you receive an unsolicited email, then a check; you cash or deposit the check in your bank, wire the leftover money to the P.O. box as instructed, and by the time the bank discovers the check is bad, the money amount is deducted from your bank account and you have nothing, but the scammer has the money you wired.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THE CHECK and report this to your local authorities as a scam, so they can investigate it further.

I found this comment about Dr. XXXXX XXXXX after doing a reverse phone number check at: http://reversenumberdatabase.com/312-675

"Dr. Coleman was trying to scam me with a fraudulent check and when I called him out on it he called me and started to threaten me (not physically but through supposedly ruining my career). This was the number he called me from and should really be looked into."

There may be an 'honest' XXXXX XXXXX out there who is not involved with the scam, but very often, scammers will use the names, addresses, phone numbers and/or emails of upstanding citizens to try to win your trust, if you do research them.

I also found this re: XXXXX XXXXX and a P.O. Box in Georgia:
http://scamalert-anothernigerianscam.blogspot.com/2009/03/scam-alert.html

http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=24605&p=70589

You may have already seen these if you have researched that name in reference to scams.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

***You can always request me in the future by typing 'For Cher' to begin your new question***

Best regards,
Cher